Thursday, August 26, 2010

Good numbers for Tiger round one at Barclays


13 /14 Fairways
15 /18 Greens
27 Putts
7 Birdies
65
Tie for 1st

For one day, Tiger Woods played like the number one player in the world again.

"It's exciting to hit the ball flush again," Woods said. "It's something I've been missing all year."

Asked whether he thinks he can still break Nicklaus's record of 18 majors, he responded, "Absolutely."

"I look at it this way," Woods said, "Hogan won all nine of his majors at my age and older. I think for every kid out there, the goal is to get there. That is the benchmark in our sport, and that's still my goal."

Woods needs to finish approximately in the top 50 this week to advance to the second round of the playoffs. He's off to a good start and certainly thinks he can still win the whole thing.

"I figure if I win, I should be OK," Woods said.