Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Debacle in the Desert for Woods

Tiger Woods attempts to chip back into the fairway at the 19th hole. (Andy Lyons / Getty)

After making a 10 foot birdie putt at the 18th to square his match with Thomas Bjorn at the Accenture World Match Play, Tiger Woods then hit his tee shot at the 19th into the dense sagebrush in the desert to the right of the fairway. It took him two shots to get the ball back to the fairway, and after missing his bogey putt, conceded the match to Bjorn.

Asked how he felt after the match, Woods responded "pissed."

"I had two easy up and downs (on the back nine) and I hit two atrocious chip shots. I missed a putt at 17 that I should always make. After the birdie at 18, I had all the momentum and I blew it."

The three time champion of the event is now going home early with 31 other players. 


(Stuart Franklin / Getty)


(Andy Lyons / Getty)