Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ryo Ishikawa donating all 2011 winnings to Japan


As a way to help out the people of Japan suffering from the devastating earthquake and tsunami, 19 year old Ryo Ishikawa has decided to donate all of his 2011 tournament prize money plus a bonus per birdie made to the victims.

Ishikawa is a golf phenom who has won nine times on the Japan Tour, shot a 58 in a pro round, won his first pro tournament as a 15 year old amateur, and won his first money title as a 17 year old. Last year he was third on Japan's money list with 1.82 million. This is an amazing act by a young person and has gained a lot of attention around the golf world.

"I don’t view this as pressure to perform, but it will instead be extra motivation for me,” Ishikawa said Friday in an email to The Associated Press. “I always believe in myself, but because I am playing for the people of Japan, I feel like I will be playing with a greater purpose this year.”

“I feel fortunate to be in a position to afford such things, but I know that my success is a result of the support of so many people,” he said in the email. “While golf is my profession, and I want to have a long and successful career, there are things that are more important. And the people of Japan are dealing with life and death issues as a result of the earthquake and tsunami. I feel it is my turn to give back in whatever way I can to support the people who have been so supportive of me.”

It would be great to see Ishikawa get a few wins this year. Maybe he can get one at the Masters.

Donate to Japan