Saturday, October 29, 2011

Jason Day joins the race for number one


Jason Day has risen fast over the past 18 months. The 23 year old won the Nelson last year and finished runner-up at both the Masters and the U.S. Open this year. He's currently the number seven player in the world but has his sights set a lot higher.

''You know, it's always been a goal of mine to get to the No.1 spot,'' Day said. ''But I know it comes with a lot of sacrifice, a lot of hard work, a lot of dedication to the game. It's small steps. At the start of my career, I thought I was going to come out and kill it. Unfortunately it didn't happen that way. I've worked my way back up to where I believe I can be [No.1]. I know it's going to take a while, but hopefully I can get to that No.1 spot in the next five years, and that would be nice.''

The race for number one throughout the next decade in golf should be interesting with so many great players vying for the spot. Luke Donald, the current number one, is playing great and seems to be getting better and more confident by the tournament. Rory Mcllroy, with one major under his belt already at age 22, also wants the number one spot and is closing in quick. Other young players out there capable of hitting number one include Martin Kaymer, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler, Ryo Ishikawa, and Anthony Kim.

Plus, there are a few veterans out there who may have another run left in them including Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia, and the current number 55 in the world, Tiger Woods.

Day will next be seen playing down under at the Australian Open where he hopes to be paired with number 55. ''If they paired me with Tiger, there would be a lot of people out there, no doubt.''