Monday, October 17, 2011

Norman rips Tiger, questions pick by Couples


Greg Norman must be trying to provide bulletin board material for Tiger Woods, Fred Couples, and the U.S. Presidents Cup team. With his most recent comments, he stated his belief that Woods should not have been picked to the U.S. team. 

"I can understand the name of a Tiger Woods and his history of what he's done on the golf course," Norman said. "But I pick the guys who I think are ready to get in there and play and have performed to the highest levels leading up to it."

"I just don't think he's swinging the golf club the way he used to when he won all those major championships," Norman said. "He's a different player out there nowadays. He even looks tied up. He looks more confined. I know what it takes to have freedom in a golf swing and I just don't think he's technically in the right position to do what he used to do."

While it's true Woods is going through swing changes that do not appear 100% comfortable at the moment, Norman must have a short memory. At the President's Cup in 2009, with Norman captaining the Internationals, Woods went 5-0 in leading the United States to victory. 

Its kind of shocking that someone like Norman, who has only won 2 majors, and choked away more than any other golfer in history, would continue to bash Woods. It seems he would understand the difficulty in staying on top year after year but apparently not. 

Fred Couples, U.S. captain, defended his pick of Woods. "I have no problem with Greg. He can say whatever he wants, but I'm not really into that. I play golf with my clubs," Couples said. "Robert Allenby is his pick, and Aaron Baddeley, and they're Australians and I think they're great picks. But I think I can sit here and say Robert Allenby hasn't won a tournament in 10 years."

"The truth is, Tiger Woods is the greatest or the second-greatest player to ever play, and he's going to be down in Australia, and I hope he plays up to his capabilities," Couples said. "But I think Tiger is used to getting picked on, and it's irrelevant to me."

Norman is certainly adding fuel to the fire and helping build anticipation and interest in the Presidents Cup by making comments about the opposing team. Come November, a serious battle will be taking place in Melbourne.