Thursday, August 9, 2012

TNT Coverage Notes from the PGA Championship at Kiawah Island

TNT commentators: Ernie Johnson, Ian Baker-Finch, Bill Kratzert and Vince Cellini

Baker-Finch on how the course conditions could favor Gary Woodland (-5) and Rory McIlroy (-5): “It’s a bomber’s paradise and no one fits that description better than Gary Woodland or Rory McIlroy.”

Baker-Finch on The Ocean Course: “It’s unusual. It’s a [links] course that appears to play low so you want to bump it around but you have to get [the ball] up in the air and spin it.”

Baker-Finch on how Rory McIlroy (-5) is leading a youth movement in golf: “As more young players like Rory McIlroy win, more young players right behind them feel they can win as well.”

TNT’s Vince Cellini interviewed Rory McIlroy (-5) following his first round:

McIlroy on taking advantage of the good weather during his first round: “I had to take advantage of the [weather] conditions because I don’t think it’s going to stay like that for the next four days. It’s nice to shoot a good round in those conditions and it gets me off to a good start in the tournament.”

TNT’s Vince Cellini interviewed Tiger Woods (-3) following his first round:

Woods on his first round: “I’m pleased. Anything in the 60s is going to be a good score.”

Woods on his mindset during his first round: “I was patient today…but it’s one of those things where you can’t force the issue. You have to continue to plod along and I did that today.”

TNT’s Vince Cellini interviewed John Daly (-4) following his first round:

Daly on his good play in recent weeks: “All year, I’ve been really close to playing good golf. I think when you make a bunch of cuts, you give yourself a chance to do that. The last few weeks have been really good.”

Baker-Finch on The Ocean Course: “It’s a ‘bucket list’ course. If you get a chance to play here…put it on your list.”

Baker-Finch on course strategy at The Ocean Course: “It’s so hard from these tight lies to elevate those pitch shots with spin. It’s going to be a key part of this [PGA] Championship to be able to do that.”

Kratzert on Ernie Els’ first round (E): “This is as well as I’ve seen Ernie strike the ball. He’s been very impressive today.”

Baker-Finch on Davis Love III (E): “Davis still hits the ball a long way with his silky-smooth swing.”

Baker-Finch on Adam Scott (-4) “facing the music” after his British Open collapse earlier this year: “It’s good to be able to talk the talk but [Scott] did it the very next day. That’s what I really enjoyed hearing from Adam - ‘I know I lost. I’m disappointed but I learned so much from it and I feel my game is good enough to win more.’”

TNT’s Vince Cellini interviewed Adam Scott (-4) following his first round:

Scott on the importance of a good start: “It’s very important. It’s great to get out on the right foot during a Major and not be chasing really hard because it’s hard to chase tough golf shots on these golf courses. For me, starting today, that’s a mission accomplished.”

Scott on rebounding from his performance at the British Open a few weeks ago: “You have to take advantage when you’re playing well. Obviously, I was playing so well at The Open and moving forward, I couldn’t let those last few holes spoil my good play. Last week, I was a little out of rhythm but it came back quickly this week and today felt good.”