Friday, February 27, 2009
Greenside Bunker Shot Fundamentals
• This shot should be performed using a sand wedge or lob wedge.
• Open your stance and dig your feet into the sand. This helps you become more stable.
• Position ball approximately even with the inside heel of your front foot.
• Open your clubface. When addressing ball, keep club slightly above the sand. Touching the sand before you actually make your swing is a penalty.
• Aim for a spot approximately 2-3 inches behind ball. You must hit the sand first.
• Cock your wrists earlier than normal for this shot and take a more upright backswing.
• Take approximately a ¾ swing. Aim for your spot in the sand, blast the club through the sand and be aggressive with your swing.
• Your swing path should be outside in.
• Club should not hit the ball at all.
• Accelerate through the shot and follow through.
• The further your target is, the less sand you will hit behind the ball