Sunday, January 31, 2010

John Daly quits (again), then changes mind (again)

John Daly shot a first round 79 at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines, missed the cut, and claimed he was quitting golf afterwords.

"I'm done. I can't compete. Just can't play like I used to," he said.

Daly photo gallery

He went on to release a statement via Facebook. "To ALL my Fans---my financial situation is putting me where I cannot focus on my game, I'm putting too much pressure on myself, the few sponsors that I have are great but it's not getting me through these times."

"I want to thank my fans throughout all these years & I don't like to continue to embarass myself-- maybe my mind may change down the road but right now i don't have the money to be on the tour. My game has never been the same since my rib injury during the Honda Classic in 2007. God Bless! JD"

Daly probably should have thought about saving a little money rather than blowing millions gambling and playing $5000 slots.

Either way, he later recanted on his initial statements with some new ones on twitter.

"Never said retirement in anything or twitter-i want to correct that! simply sayin I need my time & working through these bad times thank you."

Its not a surprise Daly is struggling with his game as he has lost 116 pounds in the past year due to lap band surgery. He needs to get used to a whole new body and this will definitely have an effect on his golf swing.

Daly is also probably attempting to stir up some added drama for his new reality show which begins in March on the Golf Channel.

Photos - AP / Chris Carlson